A wonderful twist on traditional crab cakes! These come together quickly and easily and we, personally, think they are made even more perfect when topped with our favorite lemon garlic aioli. Make a few extra cakes to have leftovers for lunch the next day. Easily doubled for a larger crowd and easily made smaller for an appetizer size. Enjoy!
Salmon Cakes with Lemon Garlic Aioli
- 1 lb. salmon cut into 2-3 filets
- 1/2 lemon or 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/3 rd cup panko breadcrumbs sub gluten free, if desired
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour sub gluten free, if desired
- 1 red bell pepper diced small
- 1 small shallot chopped fine
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tsp ground fennel
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 large egg slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
Lemon Garlic Aioli:
- 1 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup fresh herbs we like dill and chives, minced
- Zest and juice of one lemon about 1 ½ Tbsp juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Fill a large saucepan with 2-3” of water. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil. Generously salt water and add lemon juice. Once boiling, gently add salmon to water and turn down to medium heat. The salmon will gently poach before prepping salmon cakes. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes or until flaky and opaque. The size of your salmon filets will determine how long to cook with larger ones needing a bit longer. If necessary, cook in batches.
- While salmon is cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Remove salmon from water and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, break into small pieces and add to bowl with remaining ingredients. Combine well.
- Form into patties, roughly the size of a fist. Keep in ball form and don’t press down. Place on a plate lined with parchment paper. Once all eight balls are formed, place in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.