An easy and delicious weeknight meal! A great way to get in healthy fats and protein. In a time crunch? Use a store bought pesto and have it on the table even quicker! Leftovers can be easily refrigerated and tossed with extra pesto for lunch the next day!
Salmon Pesto Pasta
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 lb pasta
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs fresh salmon of choice cut into filets
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Fill a large stockpot 3/4 full with water. Generously salt and bring to a boil.
- While waiting for water to boil, prepare pesto. Using a food processor, pulse together the ingredients in a few steps. First add walnuts and garlic and pulse until ground. Add arugula and basil. Pulse again until combined. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Pulse again. Add Parmesan and pulse a final time until desired consistency. Set aside.
- Add pasta to boiling water. Cook one minute less than package directions. Reserve one cup of pasta water.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Add salmon to baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper. Drizzle lightly with honey. Place directly under broiler for 7 minutes. Remove when done and set aside.
- Add pesto to bottom of serving bowl. Use a slotted spoon and remove pasta from boiling water and add directly to bowl. Add roughly 1/3 cup reserved pasta water. Toss noodles. Be gentle but combine well. Taste for seasoning and consistency. Add more water or seasoning as needed.
- Break up salmon and add to pasta. Gently toss. Garnish with fresh basil and extra Parmesan cheese.