It’s no secret that I love eggs. They are easy, high in protein and delicious. But, when my youngest daughter asked me for breakfast burritos without eggs, I was ready to get creative. This sausage and hash brown filling hits the spot. A perfect breakfast and great for a busy school morning.
Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Burritos
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 16 oz diced hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach stems removed
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 flour tortillas 8-10” in diameter
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Once nearly melted, add shallots. Cook 3-4 minutes, mixing frequently. Add sausage and garlic. Break up with spatula. Let cook 3-4 more minutes or until edges are starting to lightly brown.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, paprika and hash browns. Mix well to combine. Break up any large hash brown clumps with clean hands or spatula. Add water. Cover sauce pan and turn heat down to low. Let cook 10 minutes.
- Mix in bell pepper, spinach and cheese. Gently work to combine well. Taste mixture and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat.
- Gently spoon roughly 1/3 cup of mixture on each tortilla. Tightly and gently roll like a burrito. Wrap burritos individually in parchment or wax paper. Store in gallon sized storage bag and place in refrigerator. Heat 30 seconds in microwave when ready to eat.
- Top with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
- Note, I love to double this recipe. Use half of the mixture for burritos. Save the remaining half of the mixture and store in airtight container in refrigerator. When ready to eat, heat mixture and top with one egg. I like an over easy, fried or poached egg.