A healthy, fast, easy and delicious way to start your day. I love these as a great opportunity to clean out the fridge with any vegetables, cheeses or meats you might have hanging around. Perfect for an “on the go” breakfast or snack.
Sausage Egg Bites
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot diced
- 3/4 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced small
- 2 scallions diced
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook 4-5 minutes. Add sausage and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Use back of spoon or spatula to break up sausage. Cook 8-10 minutes or until sausage is cooked. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, heavy cream, milk, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper and oregano. Whisk vigorously.
- Spray a standard sized muffin tin with nonstick spray. Add cooked sausage to bottom of each tin, spreading evenly amongst then.
- Add diced pepper and scallions, splitting evenly amongst the tins. Add shredded cheese over top, roughly 1 Tbsp for each muffin.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage and veggies. Each tin should hold roughly 1/4 cup of egg mixture.
- Bake 25-28 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let cool and serve. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
- If making ahead, store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.