You all love breakfasts that are great to make ahead and keep the weekday and weekend rush in check and so do we! These are perfect to make ahead this weekend and have ready for the school week. Short on time? Skip the first 4 ingredients and use some pre-cooked crumbled sausage.
Savory Pancake Bites with Sausage and Cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 1/4 cups flour gluten free, if desired
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 Tbsp butter, allowing it to melt. Once mostly melted, add onions and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes. Add sausage. Use back of spoon or spatula to break up sausage. Cook 7-8 more minutes or until fully browned. Set aside and let cool while preparing batter.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 6 Tbsp butter.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter with granulated sugar, eggs and milk.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl with dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to center and mix until incorporated and smooth.
- Drain any excess liquid from cooled sausage mixture. Fold sausage mixture and shredded cheese into batter.
- Scoop into regular size muffin tins sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake 15 minutes. Serve with maple syrup, if desired. Extras can be saved in an airtight container for 3-4 days.