Our simple tomato pesto is so versatile, flavorful and easy. The end-of-summer tomatoes are perfect for this! Double or triple the batch and save for another day or recipe!
Simple Tomato Pesto over Angel Hair
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 pints grape / cherry tomatoes or 4 cups diced tomatoes roughly 1” in diameter
- 4 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts lightly toasted, if desired
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb capellini or angel hair pasta
- Fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Finishing salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread tomatoes and garlic on baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil and salt. Lightly add black pepper. Mix with hands or spatula to evenly coat. Roast for 40 minutes or until tomatoes start to release their juices.
- Once done cooking, allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While tomatoes are cooling, start to prepare pasta. Fill a large stockpot with water and generously salt. Once boiling, add pasta. Capellini and angel hair cook quickly so you will only need 3-4 minutes of cooking time. If using an alternate pasta, adjust cooking time according to package instructions. For al dente, cook 2 minutes less than instructions note.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare pesto. In a blender or food processor, combine cooked tomatoes and garlic with remaining ingredients (through Parmesan cheese). Note, if there is excess juice from the tomatoes, you not want to add all the juice as the sauce may become too thin. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning and thickness as needed.
- In a large serving bowl, add pesto. Using tongs, remove cooked pasta from water and add directly to sauce. Gently toss.
- Garnish with torn basil leaves, freshly grated Parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and finishing salt.
- Extra pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one week.