Get this one on the table tonight! Easy and oh, so crowd pleasing! Made right in the skillet, this delicious lasagna is hard to beat. Note, I used an 14” skillet for mine. If you want to make for a smaller family or have a smaller skillet, simply half the recipe and use smaller sized cans for the tomatoes and paste.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 1/2 lbs ground sausage
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes undrained
- 12 oz can tomato paste
- 1 box flat oven ready, lasagna noodles
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large cast iron or regular, oven safe skillet, roughly 12” or large in diameter, over medium high heat. Add olive oil and shallot. Cook 3-4 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add garlic, turkey, sausage, salt, pepper, fennel seed, dried basil and red pepper flakes. Cook 5-7 minutes, mixing regularly to incorporate flavors. Note that meat won’t all be fully cooked before moving on to next step.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix well to incorporate. Turn heat down to medium. Cook 5-7 more minutes.
- Use a small bowl and remove 2/3 of mixture. Set aside momentarily. Use a spatula to spread remaining 1/3 of mixture into a thin layer on bottom of pan. Top with a thin layer of lasagna noodles. Be careful not to overlap too much but cover as much of pan as possible. Top with 1/2 of meat and tomato mixture that was set aside. Top with dollops of ricotta, using half of the ricotta on this layer. Top with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella. Repeat one more set of layers (noodles, meat sauce mixture, ricotta and mozzarella).
- Gently tent pan with foil. Cook for 25 minutes in oven. Remove foil and cook 5 more minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Let sit 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.