I’d really eat potatoes any way you make them. Mash ‘em, smash ‘em, scallop ‘em and I’m in. These smashed potatoes are easy, flavorful, and a great alternative to the traditional mashed potatoes. A perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or a weeknight meal.
Smashed Red Potatoes with Lemon Garlic & Herb Aioli
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese grated
Lemon Garlic & Herb Aioli:
- 1 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2-4 Tbsp fresh herbs minced (dill and chives)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large stockpot 3/4 full with boiling water. Generously salt. Bring to a boil. Add red potatoes to boiling water.
- Boil until for tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use the back of a large spatula or the bottom of a cast iron skillet and a flat surface to gently press each potato down the flatten.
- Once flattened, place all potatoes on a baking sheet coated with nonstick spray.
- Drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and seasoning. Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Bake a few minutes longer for extra crispy.
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare aioli. Combine all ingredients for aioli in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to serve.