What a treat of a weeknight meal this is! A little sweet, a little smoky, a little crunchy – WOW! And, super healthy and low in carbs while high in flavor! Don’t be overwhelmed by a longer ingredient list. This comes together super quick and the flavors are ah-mazing! A few of my handy tips: Make the blackening seasoning in a big batch and save. It’s perfect for chicken and seafood! Short on time? Swap a packet of taco seasoning instead! The chimichurri and slaw can easily be made ahead to speed up dinner time!
Smoky Fish Tacos with Mango Slaw and Chimichurri
- 1 lb salmon cut into 4 filets
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp thyme or Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups well packed fresh parsley
- 1 cup well packed fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small shallot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ – ¾ cup olive oil
Red Cabbage and Mango Slaw:
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 1 cup mango diced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and diced
- 3-4 scallions chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Cotija cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread out salmon.
- Mix spices (paprika through thyme) in a small bowl.
- Pat salmon filets dry with a paper towel. Place on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle blackening mixture over filets. Gently press seasoning down onto filets to ensure it sticks.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Turn oven up to broil. Place sheet pan directly under broiler for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- While fish is cooking, prepare chimichurri and slaw.
- To prepare chimichurri, utilize a food processor. Add all ingredients and ½ cup of olive oil. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. If mixture is too thick, more olive oil can be added to thin it out.
- To prepare slaw, combine cabbage, mangoes, jalapeño and scallions in a medium bowl. Drizzle olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, celery seed and salt over top. Using your hands, toss to combine well. Set aside and let flavors meld while making rest of dish.
- Lightly toast tortillas in a dry, nonstick skillet or over open flame for 30 seconds on each side, using tongs to flip.
- Remove fish from oven and break into small pieces.
- Layer tacos with slaw and crumbled fish. Add chimichurri and toppings.