It’s CiNcO dE MaYo! Let’s go! The “5th of May” is an annual celebration in Mexico commemorating the anniversary of Mexico’s victory over fathers French Empire in 1862. So, we celebrate with commemorative food and drinks! Let’s start with a new taco to add to our endless amount of amazing taco recipes! Spicy Shrimp Tacos • Super fast, nice and healthy and oh, so delicious!
Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- 1 shallot diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh shrimp cleaned and deveined
- 1-2 tsp Calabrian chili paste
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 avocados sliced
- 2 cups fresh cabbage shredded
- 3 green onions chopped
- 8-12 corn tortillas
Cilantro jalapeño Crema:
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro stems removed
- 1/2 jalapeno remove seeds if you want it less hot
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup avocado mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- Remove tails from shrimp by pinching at end of shrimp where tail starts and gently pulling off. Ensure you don’t pull off shrimp meat. Set shrimp aside.
- If using cilantro jalapeño crema, prepare it first. This can also easily be substituted with a store bought option. In a food processor, combine all ingredients for cilantro jalapeño crema and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Once nearly melted, add shallot and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add shrimp. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Start to gently move around.
- Add Calabrian chili paste and gently mix to coat shrimp. Note, it will be slightly spicy with one teaspoon and more spicy with two. Adjust according to your desired spice level. Let cook 5-6 minutes total. Be careful to not overcook. At the end, add last 2 Tbsp butter and allow to melt into shrimp. Toss once more.
- Pull from heat and add to serving bowl. Cover with foil until ready to use.
- Lightly toast tortillas in a dry, nonstick skillet or over open flame for 30 seconds on each side, using tongs to flip.
- Set up assembly line with tortillas, cabbage, avocado, green onions, shrimp and cilantro jalapeño Crema. Assemble tacos. Serve with rice and beans.