Spinach, Tomato & Avocado Frittata
- 1 1/2 yellow onions
- 2-3 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic diced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups spinach
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 Tbsp dried herbs I like Penzey’s Foxpoint seasoning
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1-2 avocados sliced (for garnishing)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, and cheese in a large bowl. Whisk in salt, pepper, and herbs. Set aside.
- Heat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet or cast-iron skillet on stovetop over medium high. Add oil, onion, and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach to skillet. (It will look overcrowded at first, but spinach will wilt down.) Turn heat off, allowing warm skillet to wilt spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach has wilted, and liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Remove from stovetop and gently pour egg mixture over spinach mixture.
- Transfer frittata to preheated oven and bake until eggs have set, about 20 minutes. About halfway through cooking, add tomatoes to top of partially cooked frittata. Return to oven and allow to finish cooking. Remove from oven after 20 minutes of total cook time. Top with sliced avocados. Cut into slices and serve immediately.
Quick Tip: For a fluffier frittata, whisk the eggs vigorously until slightly frothy, then pour immediately into the pan (at the end of step 3). The bubbles will keep the frittata light and airy as it cooks.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!