My littlest one loves stuffed peppers and is always asking for them (there could be worse things). These are packed with delicious flavor, are easy to pull together and are low carb for the days you are looking for something a little more balanced. They reheat easily for leftovers and are sure to please to e fire family. Serve with a salad.
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 14.5 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 2 tsp each cumin and smoked paprika
- 1 tsp each chili powder and kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese crumbled (optional)
- 4 bell peppers halved and seeds removed (depending on the size of your peppers, may have enough filling for 1 more)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each pepper in half from top to bottom. Remove seeds and ribs.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except cheese (black beans through corn). Mix well. Turn heat down to low and cook 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Mix in cooked quinoa and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Place peppers in baking dish or on baking sheet. Stuff mixture into peppers. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and add remaining shredded cheese and cotija cheese over top of peppers. Bake 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let each person garnish with cilantro, scallions and sour cream as desired. Enjoy!