With so many graduations, birthdays and barbecues this time of year, easy desserts are essential. Trifles are beautiful, fresh, quick and perfect for your dessert repertoire! This can easily be be made a few hours ahead of time.
Summer Triple Berry Trifle
Servings: 8 servings
- 3/4 cup 8 oz seedless berry jam (raspberry or strawberry work great)
- 6 cups fresh mixed berries we like 3 cups quartered strawberries, 1 1/2 cup blueberries and 1 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 16 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package ladyfingers roughly 8 oz, approx 20-25 cookies
- Fresh mint spring for garnish (optional)
- Heat the raspberry jam in a large bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until hot and liquidy. Add the fresh berries and toss to coat. Let sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese with the powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla, then beat in a third of the whipped cream. Using a large rubber spatula, fold in the rest of the whipped cream until well combined.
- Cover the bottom of a 9-inch trifle dish or glass bowl with a layer of lady fingers (break into pieces as necessary). Follow with 1/3 of the berry-jam mixture (including 1/3 of the juices), then 1/3 of the cream. Alternate, ending with the cream cheese mixture on top; for the last layer of cream, leave a 1-inch border around the edge showing the fruit beneath. Garnish with a few berries a fresh mint spring if using. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, before serving.