With the temps rising, we are looking for more quick and easy meals that don’t require a lot of stove or oven time. Our heirloom tomato soup is delicious and requires only a blender or food processor. Delightful for lunch or a light dinner. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.
Summer Heirloom Tomato Soup
- 1 1/2 lbs heirloom tomatoes cut into chunks
- 1/2 lb tomatillos outer skin removed
- 1 jalapeño cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 shallot
- 4 cloves garlic
- Large handful fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Set one tomato aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, brown pancetta. Drain excess oil when done and set cooked pancetta aside.
- Purée all remaining ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- This soup is fantastic at room temperature or slightly chilled. If you desire a chill, refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour before proceeding.
- Slice remaining tomato into chunks. Lightly sprinkle with kosher salt. Set in bottom of shallow bowl.
- Pour soup around tomato chunks. Top with pancetta, garnish with fresh cilantro and sprinkle of finishing salt.
- Note, color of soup many vary depending on colors of heirloom tomatoes used.