Looking for a perfect dish to celebrate the freshness of summer? Fresh sweet corn and zucchini come to life in this easy and delicious chowder. Wonderful served warm or chilled.
Sweet Corn and Zucchini Chowder with Bacon and Croutons
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cup carrots peeled and diced
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning or thyme
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 medium sweet potatoes roughly 3 1/2 – 4 cups peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups corn kernels off cob or 2 bags frozen corn
- 2 medium zucchini roughly 3 cups diced
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour sub for gluten free if desired
- 1 – 14 oz can coconut cream
- 4 oz pancetta or 4 slices bacon diced
- Baguette cut into 1” cubes
- 2 green onions diced
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrots, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and paprika. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and broth. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, then lower the heat back to medium and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the potatoes are halfway cooked.
- Add zucchini and corn. Simmer for additional 8-12 minutes or until the vegetables are completely tender.
- Transfer 1/3 of chowder to a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Return mixture back into pot except for one cup. Add 2 Tbsp flour to reserved cup of liquid. Whisk until smooth. Return remaining mixture to pot and whisk to combine. The flour mixture will help thicken the soup.
- Add coconut cream and cook just until heated through. Taste for salt and pepper.
- In a separate nonstick skillet, cook bacon or pancetta over medium high heat, until it renders its fat and begins to brown, about 5-6 minutes. Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove bacon and set aside.
- Toast baguette pieces in remaining bacon fat to lightly brown, roughly 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat once lightly browned.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with bacon, green onions and baguette croutons.