It’s only a few hours until dinner time and these are easy and quick enough that they can be on your table tonight! Baked tacos are a favorite in our house and were on the menu this week. It’s a deliciously fun twist on traditional taco night. Quick, healthy and delicious – what more can you ask for? 🌮🌮🌮
Sweet Potato and Ground Chicken Baked Tacos
- 2-4 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb ground chicken can substitute ground Italian sausage or turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potatoes peeled and diced into small squares (roughly 1/2” pieces)
- 2 Tbsp chicken broth
- 6 flour tortillas 8” diameter (don’t go bigger or smaller in size)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Pineapple or mango diced very small
- Cojita cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil over high heat in a large skillet. Add onions cook for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic and turn down heat to medium high. Cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Add ground chicken, salt, pepper and seasonings. Cook 5-7 minutes or until just starting to brown. While cooking, use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up into small pieces.
- Add diced sweet potatoes and 2 Tbsp chicken broth. Cover. Cook 8-10 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently but being careful to not break up the potatoes too much.
- Lay tortillas out flat on a cookie sheet, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon roughly 1/2 cup of the sausage mixture onto the right side of each tortilla. Sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese. Fold tortilla in half, pressing gently so top stays down. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Drizzle olive oil on top layer of tacos.
- Bake tacos for 8-10 minutes or until starting to slightly brown. If you like a crispier taco, place under broiler for 30 seconds at end.
- Top with favorite garnishes and serve with side of beans or Spanish rice.