Tomato Tortellini Soup with Sausage
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 ½ pounds ground Italian sausage
- 4 medium carrots I like heirloom, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 10 oz packages cheese tortellini (the fresh pasta in the refrigerated case at the grocery store)
- 2 cups fresh kale torn into small pieces
- 5.2 oz Boursin cheese I like shallot & chives flavor or cream cheese
- Kosher salt
- Olive or avocado oil
- Heat a large stockpot to medium high. Add about 2 tablespoons oil, carrots, onions, and shallot, and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 more minutes until garlic is fragrant and light golden brown.
- Add Italian sausage and break up with a spatula or wooden spoon, incorporating sausage into vegetables. Cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add basil, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, broth and both kinds of tomatoes. Season again with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add tortellini and kale, then turn off heat. Cover pot and let sit for just 3 minutes to wilt kale and warm tortellini through. Add Boursin, stirring to break up and let melt into soup. Taste again for seasoning and adjust as needed.