No dinner plans tonight? This little bowl of goodness is a winner! Wonderful flavors, warmth and comfort, filling ingredients and easy to pull together.
Turkey, Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic diced
- 2 cans corn
- Olive oil and kosher salt for roasting corn
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced (roughly 3/4” squares)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut cream
- Chili oil
- Shredded cheese omit for dairy free
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch Oven, brown bacon on medium high heat, stirring frequently. Once browned, remove bacon from pan using a slotted spoon. Leave bacon grease in pan to use for base of soup.
- Add diced onion and shallot to pan and cook until they start to lightly brown and become translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- While onions are garlic are cooking, start to roast corn. Drain corn and spread on a cookie sheet, coated with non-stick spray. Drizzle corn with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Place cookie sheet on middle rack of preheated oven and roast for 15- 20 minutes or until corn starts to lightly brown.
- While corn is roasting, finish preparing soup. To the stockpot, add ground turkey and spices (salt through cinnamon). Stir well to mix flavors. Cook until sausage is lightly browned. While cooking, use spatula or back of wooden spoon to break up turkey, ensuring no pieces are too large.
- Slowly add chicken stock to pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add sweet potatoes and cover pot. Turn heat down to low and simmer 15 minutes. Once done simmering, turn heat off and add coconut cream. Use whisk or spoon to combine cream into stock.
- Remove corn from oven and add to stockpot. Return bacon to pot. Stir gently to combine.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with garnishes of choice.