Baby, it’s cold outside! Like -20 here in Minnesota! Let’s warm those bellies with a delicious and easy seasonal soup. Pull this one together tonight and save any leftover for lunch tomorrow!
White Bean and Orzo Soup with Chicken Sausage
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 lb chicken sausage links cut into 1/4” rounds
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into 1/4” thick rounds
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 8 cups chicken broth 2 quarts
- 15 oz can white kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups baby spinach stems removed
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Italian parsley diced, for garnish
- Heat a large stockpot over high heat. Add olive oil and sausage. Cook 5-6 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned. Remove sausage from pan using a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to stockpot. Add 1-2 Tbsp of chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown drippings from the sausage and mix with onion and garlic. Turn heat down to medium high and sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrots, dried basil, tarragon, salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes. Add dried orzo and slightly toast with vegetables.
- Add remaining chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and cover. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add drained beans and browned sausage. Mix to combine. Cook 5 more minutes to warm beans and sausage.
- Add spinach and lemon (zest and juice). Gently mix. Heat will soften spinach. Garnish with Italian parsley.