All of my favorite things in a soup! Perfect for a meat free Monday. Pull this one together tonight and save any leftover for lunch tomorrow!
White Bean and Orzo Soup with Kale
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot chopped
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cups orzo
- 8 cups broth
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cans white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups kale stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add butter to melt. Add shallots and garlic to stockpot. Cook 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. If needed, add a tablespoon of chicken broth to deglaze pan. Scrape up browned bits.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add carrots and celery. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano. Mix well. Cook 5-6 minutes. Add dried orzo and slightly toast with vegetables.
- Add remaining chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and cover. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and drained beans. Mix to combine. Cook 5 more minutes to warm beans.
- Add kale and Parmesan. Gently mix. Heat will soften spinach. Garnish with more Parmesan.