As we head into Summer, we are all looking for ways to stay healthy yet get an easy meal on the table! Our White Bean and Veggie Turkey Burgers are loaded with nutrients and sneak in extra veggies and protein. Now, listen here, my kids are hard critics so it’s gotta taste good or they aren’t buying it! The recipe makes 8 burgers as these are great for lunch leftovers!
White Bean and Veggie Turkey Burgers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp each onion & garlic powder
- 1 zucchini top and bottom trimmed and grated
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 can cannelini beans drained
- 8 slices white American cheese
- 8 brioche buns or English muffins sliced
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 apple cored and diced
- 4 radishes shaved
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp stone ground dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion and garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook 4-5 more minutes, stirring often. Add 1 tsp salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and zucchini. Combine well and cook 4-5 more minutes. Add worsteshire and mix. Turn heat off. Allow mixture to cool completely. If there is significant excess liquid from veggies, drain a bit of it.
- In a large bowl, combine next four ingredients (through beans) along with cooked vegetable mixture. Add remaining 1 tsp kosher salt. Stir well to combine.
- Form into 8 even balls and gently press into patties. Place on plate or baking sheet and allow them to chill 10-15 minutes in refrigerator before cooking.
- Heat grill or nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. In the last 2 minutes of cooking on the second side, add sliced cheese so it can melt. Grill buns or English muffins, if desired.
- While burgers are cooking, prepare slaw. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Add cabbage, apples and radishes. Mix well to coat.
- Place burgers on bun on English muffins. Top with slaw. Serve with fries.